Depending on the host and guest configuration, you may experience problems when connecting to some games. The following NAT types can affect online connectivity:
- Open: can connect to any of the three types.
- Moderate: can only connect to open and moderate.
- Strict: can ONLY connect to open.
Since most people don't have open NATs, the player with a strict NAT won't be able to find many joinable games. Another problem is that sometimes the ISP still acts as a strict NAT.
What can the host and guest do to connect to solve a connection problem?
- Restart your PC and simply try again (best way to start troubleshooting any issue).
- Unplug your router for 10 minutes and plug it back in. Some older routers degrade in performance over time until it is rebooted, similar to a PC.
- Port forward UDP port 32303. Third party websites may have guides for you such as this one. However, we recommend non-advanced users to seek assistance from their network administrator or Internet Service Provider.
- Enable uPnP (universal plug and play) on your router.
- Make sure your router's firmware is upgraded to the latest version.
- Disable any firewall or other network filtering for the game.